With precision, pace and basic safety between its prime features, the new YuMi robot from ABB joins the swiftly growing checklist of collaborative robots that are revolutionizing numerous packaging jobs and functions.
YuMi receives its title from a mash-up of “you” and “me” and represents a stage-change in producing overall flexibility, specifically when performing aspect-by-aspect with individuals.
http://www.fhopepack.com/Coil_upender.html was made for tiny-areas assembly, utilized extensively in the electronics market place (placing together mobile phones, for illustration). However, Alex Miller, ABB media relations, tells Packaging Digest, “YuMi was not especially intended for programs in the packaging sector, but its flexibility and skill to collaborate with human beings open up a wonderful offer of possibilities, most of which are still to emerge.”
Rick Tallian, ABB supervisor of buying, packing and palletizing solutions, expands on that: “There will be packaging purposes for YuMi. We are hearing about apps that demand a high degree of customization and adaptability. These purposes might alter on a daily or weekly foundation to meet up with the buyer calls for. I imagine that a lot more chances with these attributes will be identified as we even more introduce this engineering to the market.”
In a push launch saying the new product, ABB CEO Ulrich Spiesshofer claims, “The new era of robotic coworkers is here…. YuMi makes collaboration involving human beings and robots a reality. It is the final result of several years of exploration and development, and will adjust the way individuals and robots interact. YuMi is an factor of our World wide web of Things, Solutions and Folks strategy making an automatic potential jointly.”
The company is entirely fully commited to supporting YuMi in North The usa. On May well twenty, 2015, ABB opened a new robotics plant at its facility in Auburn Hills, MI, and has currently started creating numerous robots in its portfolio in the United States. According to the organization, this would make it “the initially international industrial robotics business to completely dedicate and commit in a North American robotics manufacturing footprint.”
YuMi, which seems to me like the upper torso of the robot Baymax from the well-known animated motion picture “Big Hero six,” has seven axes of movement, dual arms and flexible hands for a significant stage of dexterity and precision. How specific is its motion regulate? Repeatability is .02 millimeters.
Other characteristics and added benefits include:
• The compact robot is designed with lightweight sections, producing YuMi portable and redeployable at will. It also minimizes floor house requirements.
• YuMi is able to replicate the similar skill as a human assembly worker at speeds of 1,500mm per next and with a achieve of 559mm. It can also process two jobs at the very same time.
• With a FlexFeeder universal areas feeding system, YuMi can take care of intricate 3D decide on-and-location operations. Cameras embedded in the gripper can be used for uncomplicated inspection.
• Developed to be inherently secure, YuMi has no pinch details and can work without having limitations, cages or zones. YuMi acquired the “Best of the Best” style and design award from Pink Dot for its human-friendly design and style. In accordance to ABB, “It has a light-weight still rigid magnesium skeleton included with a floating plastic casing wrapped in delicate padding to take up impacts. If YuMi senses an unexpected effect, these as a collision with a coworker, it can pause its movement inside of milliseconds, and the motion can be restarted once more as effortlessly as pressing engage in on a remote regulate.”
• Teaching is completed with guide-by programming, which indicates YuMi learns as you transfer the arms via the series of actions, logging waypoints and gripper actions on a paired pill working the YuMi app. The software program then turns the actions into the underlying code, which indicates you can train YuMi with much less engineering resources.
• From a perform environment place of check out, YuMi is IP thirty compliant and withstands a wide temperature variety from 41 deg F. to 104 deg F. (5 deg C. to 40 deg C.). It is not, however, cleanroom or foodstuff grade rated.
1 packaging job I consider YuMi may well excel at is assembling closures with many items. Could that open up up modern new models that cannot be instantly assembled any other way? Now that you know what YuMi can do, convey to us how you consider you can finest use it in your packaging operations. Leave your remark down below.